Saint-Jean is rolling out the red carpet for you…
A technicolour spring at Saint-Jean! On the 8, 9 and 10 April 2016, the spring Plant Fair will roll out the red carpet with the finest in plants and the gardening lifestyle. The line-up includes nearly 250 specialists ans Europe’s top producers and nurserymen in order to offer you unrivalled diversity in terms of the plants displayed and all the advice you will need so you can successfully lay out your gardening projects. The plants themselves, which will be the undisputed focus during these three days, will be the stars of the show, with a whole host of trees, shrubs, creepers, rose bushes, grasses, perennials and annual plants. Including unexpected plants and classics, audacious plants and discreet ones, demanding plants and ones that are easy to handle, the young debutantes will be there alongside the rising stars and the established names.
This year’s theme, constituting the main attraction, will be springtime red. From scarlet to crimson, including vermillion and magenta, through its various shades, it will be played out in all its richness to make gardens more dynamic and bring banks of flowers to life.
Among the many events scheduled, there is the presentation ceremony for the Saint-Jean de Beauregard Prizes and Trophies, awarded for the best plants, and presentations of the latest publications in the field of gardening, including Isabelle Olikier-Luyten talking about Des Compagnes pour mes Roses (Companions for my Roses), Patrick Mioulane with the latest edition of Le Truffaut (the illustrated bible of gardening), Franck Sadrin and Julien Joly with Les Pivoines (Peonies), Antoine Breuvart with Que planter en terre argileuse (What to plant in clay soil), Philippe Asseray with his book on organic products Traiter bio, c’est facile!, and Xavier Mathias with Des salades toute l’année dans mon jardin (Salads all year round from my garden).
That should get you going !
Events and activities*
* all the events and activities proposed are free.
- Prizes and Trophies: Prize-giving on Friday 8 April, at 2.00 pm, followed by a display of the prize-winning plants.
- Vanities: A preview exhibition of portraits of withering flowers by the artist photographer Rachel Levy.
- Red in the garden: Held in the exhibition garden created for the occasion by the landscaper Alexandre Thomas.
- Saint-Jean Special Plant Finder: A special plants search engine so you can easily find your plants at the exhibition.
- Bedding or mulches for a natural garden: A space for discovering new techniques offered by the Regional National Park of the High Valley of Chevreuse.
- Architectural prunning: Demonstrations carried out on park trees with Frederic Montegut and his team of arborists and pruners from JEV, a member of the Qualiarbre network (11 am, 12 and 5 pm).
- Plant floppy hat workshop: To create your own floppy hat with forest moss and shaped chicken wire mesh decked with plants, with the florist and events decorator Isabelle Godet (2 pm, approximately 1 hour).
- Plants exchange: proposed by the association Vivaces & Cie.
- Guided tours of the French-style flowering kitchen garden: 2.30 pm and 4.00 pm.
- For children: Green Birdhouses (a workshop with Isabelle Godet for making small wooden houses for birds with planted roofs, Sat. and Sun. at 11 am and 3:30 pm, for 8-15 year-olds, approximately 1 hour); Voyage to the heart of perfume (an olfactory workshop offered by Parfum en Herbe, Sat. and Sun. at 11 am, 2 and 3 pm, from 6 years, approximately 1 hour); Green seeding (a discovery workshop using the Paper Potter run by Botanique Editions, non-stop for parents, Sat. and Sun. at 11 am and 3 pm for 4-12 year-olds, approximately 30 minutes); Baby plants (a workshop with the « Jardiniers de France » Association to discover how plants live and how to take care of them before repotting and adopting them, Sat. and Sun. from 10:30 am to 12:30 and from 2 to 4:30 pm, for 5-10 year-olds).
Conferences and signatures
Friday 8 April 2016
3.00 pm: Des compagnes pour mes roses
(Companions for my roses) – published by Ulmer.
A talk and signature with Isabelle Olikier-Luyten.
4.15 pm: Signing of Orchidées
(Orchids) – published by Ulmer.
Signature by Frédéric Pautz.
4.15 pm: Signing of Le saule, la plante aux mille pouvoirs
(The willow, a plant with a thousand powers) – published by De Terran.
Signature by Dominique Brochet Lanvin.
4.30 pm: The new Le Truffaut, the illustrated bible of gardening
- published by Larousse.
Talk and signature with Patrick Mioulane.
Saturday 9 April 2016
11.00 am: Les Pivoines
(Peonies) – published by Ulmer.
Talk and signature with franck Sadrin and Julien Joly.
3.00 pm: Flowers in majesty
Floral art demonstration with the AACL.
Sunday 10 April 2016
11.00 am: Que planter en terre argileuse ?
(What to plant in clay soil?)- published by Ulmer.
Talk and signature with Antoine Breuvart
3.00 pm: Traiter bio, c’est facile !
(Using organic gardening products is easy!) – published by Rustica.
A talk and signature with Philippe Asseray.
4.30 pm: Des salades toute l’année dans mon jardin
(Salads all year round from my garden) – published by Terre Vivante.
Talk and signature with Xavier Mathias.